Lexington, KY-based Sunfire today announced that its TGM-100 Theater Grand Media System, which was first previewed at CEDIA 2008, is now shipping, as are companion TGM-HD series storage arrays. A Sunfire press release describes the TGM-100 as a “high performance, modular and scalable media server for music and movies with storage options ranging from one terabyte up to six terabytes,” with complete systems starting at $6500.
The TGM-100 system promises high-level audio and video performance, but for many prospective owner the TGM system’s biggest differentiator may well be its superb user interface. The system is designed, Sunfire notes, so that “Artist, album, genre, film, director, even cover art, are downloaded automatically, making it a breeze to sort through extensive collections.” Interestingly, the system also uses “multiple online sources, such as Gracenote®, AMG®, and GD3® for the highest quality metadata.” A highly intuitive onscreen, TV interface (illustrated in the photos that accompany this article) helps users navigate to the music or movies they wish to enjoy.
Unlike many other music servers, the TGM-100 system was planned from the outset as a comprehensive, multi-room system, and to this end Sunfire also offers the TGM-100C ($3500)—a client version of the server that, says Sunfire, allow users to “enjoy the same experience in up to seven different rooms in the house.” To further facilitate ease of use, the Sunfire servers were, “designed from the ground up to work with all current ELAN Touch Panels.” Sunfire is one of the companies comprising ELAN Group, and accordingly Sunfire TGM servers will be offered through “select ELAN dealers.”
One of the most appealing aspects of the Sunfire solution involves its highly flexible lineup of RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Drives) storage solutions, which range in size from 1 terabyte to 6 terabytes, with even higher capacity envisioned. Storage array options include the TGM-HD1 (1 terabyte), TGM-HD3 (3 terabytes), TGM-HD6 (6 terabytes), and TGM-HDC, which Sunfire describes as “an enterprise-grade RAID 6 hard drive solution, fully customized for the CI industry, with critical application performance only seen in financial, medical and scientific markets.”
The excepts below, quoted from the Sunfire press release, highlight features of the TGM-100 and -100C servers and of the available RAID storage arrays.
TGM-100 / TGM-100C Theater Grand Media Server/Client Features:
- STORE entire collections of DVDs and CDs on a system that is as easy to use as it is sophisticated
- ACCESS all media using an intuitive high resolution TV interface. A stunning widescreen display provides access to entire collections of music and movies all at users’ fingertips from the comfort of their seats
- VIDEOPHILE 1080p cinematic experience – best-in-class video performance upconverts existing DVD libraries to near-HD 1080p quality
- CLASSIFY music and movies (including CD/DVD cover art). Artist, album, genre, film, director, and more are downloaded automatically to make it a breeze to sort through extensive collections
- SCALABLE for up to seven simultaneous independent video zones (server/client system). Users can queue up SpongeBob in the living room while rocking out to a live Pink Floyd concert DVD in the theater
- REMOTE monitoring and diagnostics. The early warning system, alerts users and dealers of important system conditions – in many cases preventing problems before they even happen.
- AWARD-winning integration platform (XiVALink protocol via IP, RS-232, IR)
TGM-HD3/6 Theater Grand Media Hard Drive Features:
- BACKUP - dual redundancy power supplies, fans, and hard drives make the system the most reliable on the market
- INTELLIGENT remote diagnostics alert users and dealers of potential system problems
- SCALABLE hard drive options from one terabyte to six terabytes offer both flexibility and scalability to tailor user needs now and well into the future
Pricing (MSRP): TGM-100 server ($5920), TGM-100C client server ($3000); complete 1TB system ($6500), 3TB system ($15000), and 6TB system ($19500). For more information, visit: www.sunfire.com